Since 1983, we have been working to make Cypress Hills a strong, vibrant community. We provide comprehensive services for the Cypress Hills community. Together, our programs strengthen the area’s physical and economic infrastructure, provide quality educational and social services, and foster local leaders.
We are proud of our many successes.
We are making Cypress Hills a greener, healthier, more sustainable place to live.
- We are leading Cypress Hills Verde, a long-term plan for a green and healthy neighborhood. Through two initiatives, Communities for Healthy Food and Two Shades of Green, we are piloting programs to educate the neighborhood about healthy eating and exercise and retrofitting residential housing to make the buildings more sustainable and environmentally friendly. These initiatives were developed in partnership with the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC).
- We developed and built Cypress Hills Community School, Brooklyn’s first green school building.
We work with children, teenagers and families to help young people to succeed in high school, college and the workforce.
- Our afterschool programs, which serve 1,350 students a year, have been recognized for excellence through an Afterschool Innovator Award and have been selected to participate in the highly competitive city-funded NYC Summer Quest program and TASC’s ExpandED program. These model programs are designed to give students from low income communities an academic edge through extra school instruction.
- We are pioneering a peer counseling model for college access and persistence programs which help over 1,600 young people a year. This innovative model for Student Success Centers was developed in the Franklin K. Lane High School campus through work with College Access: Research and Action (CARA), Youth Development Institute and the Urban Youth Collaborative. We are now replicating that model with our first Middle School Student Success Center at IS 171 to help younger students navigate the complex high school choice process in New York City.
- We started the Cypress Hills Child Care Corporation (CHCCC), which provides high-quality early childhood education to 500 children a year and has received accreditation from the prestigious National Association for the Education of Young Children and the National Association for Family Child Care. These accreditations are given selectively to child care programs of demonstrably high quality.
We help young adults enter the workforce and stay employed.
- We are partnering with JobsFirst NYC, pioneering a sectoral employment program for young adults in logistics and transportation, providing training in job readiness and working with local businesses to match them with prospective employees and support their success in the workforce.
We help residents of Cypress Hills to have access to high-quality affordable housing.
- We have developed 400 units of affordable housing in the community, creating homes for both renters and owners.
- We are members of the New York Mortgage Coalition and have helped hundreds of families attain the dream of homeownership.
- We won a Building Brooklyn Award in 2015 for our affordable housing complex, Cypress Hills Village.
Leadership and Advocacy
We help residents to be leaders engaged in influencing the future of their community.
- We won the creation of three new school buildings in our community, through advocacy, organizing, and planning.
- We have established tenant organizing and advocacy services to help neighborhood residents make positive changes through collective action.